On Presentations...
They're not my thing. I found the stuff that we learned to be quite useful, but it'll take some work to get the hang of presenting. I think it also made me a little conscientious about how many "umms" I say. I also found it kinda unfair that we had no prep time for our presentations. I guess in a way it's an interesting way of seeing what people's bad habits are in the heat of the moment. I still can't help but wish it would be other people and not me. I certainly can see why being good at presenting helps out a bunch. Lots of information will be presented in business settings, so there will always be a need to present. If I'm able to do it well, I can impress people and receive opportunities. If I don't, then there's a risk of me being overlooked by those who can
I also learned about networking. Mom always told me about how important networking is, but it's never really been my thing. I guess that's part of the reason I'm going for an Accounting major: 97% placement. Maybe all those guys learned how to network, but I kinda imagine that they didn't have to go quite as far out of their way as those of less marketable majors do. Since my future isn't set in stone and the fact that I could probably grow a lot by being forced to do things that I'm not good at, I think I might go for the extra credit anyway. I might need the points.
I feel like everyone is presenting everyday, so I think practicing to not say, "UMMMM" with friends is just as beneficial as in front of a classroom. Great post and keep them coming.
ReplyDeleteHudson
I admit to too many "umms" too, and the more I try to not say them, the more I seem to, frustrating.
ReplyDeleteAs for your comments on networking, while you may not find that your most favorite thing to do, you will notice, even in accounting, that those who network well will seem to rise to the top faster than those who do not. You watch and see. :) Darren R
I agree with what you said about not having any prep time. That can be a lesson to us though that we need to make sure that we put in enough prep time before we have to present something so we can have less um and know the information better.
ReplyDelete